Are you ready for a profound change? Do you seek meaning and purpose in your life? Imagine dedicating a minimum of 6-months to uplift one of the world's most deserving communities in Malawi, Africa.
Our volunteers consistently describe their experience as life-changing, joyful, and uniquely transformative. The Krizevac Project, initiated 15 years ago, has evolved from a symbolic cross on a mountain to a thriving community around the base of Chilomoni, Blantyre, Malawi. Our enterprises, ranging from brick-making to plant rental, are fostering positive change. We've established a comprehensive campus for Lifelong Learning, known as Mary Queen of Peace Catholic Institute, featuring a children's centre, primary and secondary schools, and a specialized IT training college.
Now, we are in search of a dedicated and professional volunteer Architectural Designer / Architect, to bolster our Malawian Construction team.
- To lead the design of a range of building typologies, from small, vernacular-style single-storey constructions, to large, multi-storey landmark buildings
- To manage the content and quality of architectural design documents, required from Concept to Construction stages
- To work closely with the Project Engineers and other Technical Consultants, in both Malawi and the UK, to ensure that structural documents and building services documents are fully-coordinated with architectural intent
- To liaise with the Construction Manager, QS and Director of Design and Construction in Malawi to assist in preparing budgets and programmes for construction projects
- To work closely with the Construction Manager and Local Site Engineers in Malawi to review, check and assess details being constructed on-site against issued design documents and design specifications
- To liaise with the relevant authorities / government offices in Malawi in order to ensure that formal permissions / approvals for each built project are received and documented, within the required time-frames
- To mentor and train Architectural Assistants so that drawing production is efficiently and correctly delivered
- To communicate regularly with the Directors and Funders in the UK, ensuring that they are aware of project design and construction progress
- To contribute meaningfully to regular internal design review sessions
- To organise and chair weekly project Construction/Design Meetings for particular projects
- To attend weekly Procurement Meetings, and to contribute meaningfully to those meetings
- To assist the Director of Design and Construction in Malawi with general office-running duties, and to take on some of these duties when the Director is away from the office
- Minimum RIBA Part-2 qualification, with relevant in-office post-Part 2 experience required
- Proven experience in various RIBA work stages, from Concept Design to Completion
- Proficiency in CAD (AutoCAD / Revit / Sketchup / Rhino)
- Demonstrated ability to liaise and coordinate with external consultants
- On-site / job-running experience is essential
- Experience in concept / detail design of schools, offices, houses, or large-scale master planning projects preferred
- Open-minded and adventurous
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to set and meet deadlines for yourself and junior assistants
- Flexible and happy to change focus at short notice when required
- Ability to adapt designs quickly to changing external circumstances
- Patient and accepting of new working cultures and methods
- Non-salaried voluntary position. Expenses offered, including;
- Flights (1no. return flight from London Heathrow)
- Health / Travel Insurance
CRB Check: Enhanced
Location: Beehive Centre for Social Enterprise, Chilomoni, near Blantyre, Malawi, Africa
Reporting to: Director of Design and Construction
Our ideal candidate will thrive on the challenge of working with demanding terrain and in a climate that may test building foundations.
Board, Accommodation, Visas, and Health Insurance are provided - please inquire for full details. One return flight per year is also included.
To apply, email your current CV, a succinct Portfolio of work, and a letter of interest explaining why you're interested in volunteering in Africa. Clearly state the job title in your application. For further information or an informal chat, call Zoe Kasiya at 01543 888494.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by telephone to discuss the next steps of the recruitment process. Visit www.krizevac.org for more information about Krizevac Project.
Seize this opportunity to make a lasting difference in the world. Apply now.