We are looking for a Building Surveyor to join us in caring for some of the most iconic historic houses and castles in Wales. As part of a team of Building Surveyors you will work with other professionals and conservation specialists to provide support and expertise in all aspects of building operations, conservation, defect investigation and project delivery. Your work will enable our properties to achieve sustainable standards of building conservation and repair.
This is a hybrid opportunity between home, property and regional hubs. You will be predominantly covering North Wales and can be contractually based either at Erddig Hall or Penrhyn Castle.
We are offering this role on a permanent basis with a salary circa. £41,000.
Mae cyfieithiad Cymraeg yr hysbyseb hwn ar gael yn y pdf atodol.
What it's like to work here
This post will be part of the National Trust Cymru Consultancy Team - an inhouse team of multidisciplinary experts who together form a great repository of skills talents and experience. The diversity and quality of expertise within the team enable our properties and places to benefit from an extraordinary range of creative and innovative thinking, as well as deep expertise in all matters relating to our twin purpose of caring for the nation’s most special heritage and landscapes and providing public good by making these places accessible to all.
It's about being part of something different, where values matter and where our decisions are based on looking after our places for everyone, forever.
What you'll be doing
You will be a key part of our buildings team comprising of facilities managers, surveyors, planners, project and contract managers, as well as other specialists. In this role you’ll be one of the specialists helping to look after our special places, responsible for supporting our in-hand portfolios working closely with our property teams.
With a passion for Wales’ historic buildings and environment and an interest in their sustainable use, repair and conservation, you’ll be skilled in forward planning; and able to set and manage delegated budgets, providing accurate and robust forecasts. Engaging and managing a range of stakeholders will be key in support of your work.
Please also click apply to read the full role profile attached to this advert.
Who we're looking for
• Member of Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors, Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA), Chartered Institute of Buildings (CIOB) or Architects Registration Board (ARB)
• Knowledge of building conservation, defect diagnosis, maintenance, and repair; ability to review and inspect the condition of buildings and produce a comprehensive report on the findings and potential repairs
• Track record of preparing specifications and schedules of works
• Contract administration and experience of managing projects and project teams
• Ability to brief and manage consultants - acting as client-side adviser and technical expert – including Building Surveyors and Architects
• A positive attitude to Welsh language and culture
• A building conservation certification/accreditation is beneficial but not essential. A desire to achieve this would be supported.
• Full driving licence will be required for travel around the region (mileage allowance will be paid for work travel)
The National Trust has the motto ‘For everyone, for ever’ at its heart. We’re working hard to create an inclusive culture, where everyone feels they belong. It’s important that our people reflect and represent the diversity of the communities and audiences we serve. We welcome and value difference, so when we say we’re for everyone, we want everyone to be welcome in our teams too.
• Substantial pension scheme of up to 10% basic salary
• Free entry to National Trust properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
• Tax free childcare scheme
• Rental deposit loan scheme
• Season ticket loan
• Perks at work discounts i.e. gym memberships, shopping discount codes, cinema discounts
• Holiday allowance up to 32 days relating to length of service, plus holiday purchase scheme, subject to meeting minimum criteria.
• Flexible working whenever possible
• Employee assistance programme
• Free parking at most locations
• Independent financial advice
Click here to find out more about the benefits we offer to support you.