We are looking for an experienced Part III Architect, with a minimum of 5 years post qualification experience, ideally across a range of historic and contemporary buildings. We are also looking for a Part II Architect graduate with a passion for historic buildings
We are an established London-based practice, with a growing portfolio of work across a diverse range of sectors, with a team of hands-on Partners and skilled Architects and Technologists. You will be supporting the team on projects across a variety of sectors including cultural buildings, places of worship, residential, commercial and retail. Many buildings are listed, including some heritage-at-risk sites.
This role requires taking responsibility for and running projects from start to finish, preparing planning, design and construction drawings, reports and specifications and working collaboratively with a Partner. For some projects, you will be required to liaise directly with clients, consultants, and contractors; on others, you will work collaboratively in an in-house team. An interest and experience of working on heritage, conservation and listed building projects would be highly advantageous for this role.
Role & Responsibilities
- Working on projects from inception to completion RIBA stages 0-7
- Preparing designs and submission for planning approval, listed building consent or CofE faculty
- Ensuring CDM requirements are satisfied
- Preparing detailed designs, working drawings and specifications;
- Overseeing projects on site including site inspections
- Up to date knowledge of the latest statutory building regulations
- Ensure the running of the project is kept within the financial goal and deadlines
- Working alone and within small teams as projects require
- Reporting to the Partners on project progress
- Some projects are outside of London and will require travel.
Required Skills & Experience for Architect/ Part II Architect
- Part III Qualified, ARB registered, Architect OR
- A Part II graduate, with a passion for historic buildings
- A minimum of 5 years’ UK work experience in a building design capacity, including extensive experience of production information on a range of projects for the Part III Architect
- RIBA CA accreditation or above; a candidate working towards accreditation would be acceptable
- Experience of working on historic buildings, preparing heritage reports, including condition reports, heritage impact statements, statements of significance, etc. would be advantageous
- Understanding of working on historic buildings
- Experience of working through a variety of RIBA stages
- Able to demonstrate a practical approach and experience of construction detailing
- Up-to-date knowledge of the latest UK Statutory and Building Regulations
- Strong technical capabilities
- Proficiency of working with Vectorworks, Sketchup and Adobe Suite is desirable
- Strong presentation and design skills
- Strong communication skills
- Applicant must be based in the UK and be able to show evidence of eligibility to work in the UK
- A driving license is advantageous
Our office is located inside the vibrant Grade I listed Union Chapel, very close to Highbury & Islington tube station. We are a family-friendly practice and are fully set up for remote working and can discuss flexible working hours if this is suitable.
What you can expect
- Full-time or part-time position
- Salary dependant on experience
- 20 days holiday + 3 discretionary days between Christmas/New Year + bank holidays
- Statutory pension scheme
- Flexible working
- Social office – regular team lunches/drinks etc
We are looking for creative, passionate individuals. You are encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match the job description. At RMA, everyone brings their unique talents to work as a team and produce great architectural solutions. We strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds and identities to apply. Each new hire is an opportunity for us to bring in a different perspective, and we are always eager to further diversify our Practice. RMA is committed to building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do your best and most rewarding work of your career.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter and portfolio to:
We regret that due to the number of applications we will only be able to contact shortlisted candidates.
No agencies, please.