Ambitious Design Manager Required For Residential Design Practice Undertaking Projects Throughout London and the South East
PLEASE NOTE: Due to our current marketing focus and client base you must be based in London/Kent.
Please confirm your address when submitting your CV.
We are an architectural practice specializing in residential design throughout London. Based in Erith, Kent we will soon be one of the largest specialist home designers in the South East. We specialize in home extensions/conversions and new builds undertaking around 20-30 new projects per month ranging from £80k single storey extensions and loft conversions to £1mil double storey luxury extensions and new builds. This is set to increase further with the launch of our new luxury brand The Architects Of London which focuses on high end residential refurbishment, conversions and extensions to super prime properties in West London.
We have also recently diversified into education and small scale multi-apartment development projects. With the launch of a new dedicated website we hope to grow this side of the business significantly during the current year.
As Design Manager you will be joining an exciting business where we have embraced the benefits of designing in 3D and Virtual Reality. We have invested in the latest technology and undertake all our site surveys in house using advanced 3D scanning equipment. We have recently launched our internal Project Management/CRM software allowing us to streamline operations throughout the entire business. This has helped us become the market leaders in our sector.
We are looking for a particularly special kind of person to come on board with us at this growth stage of our business. That person needs to have the aspiration and desire to go the extra mile where we can develop a role around their skill sets.
This is a permanent role where you will be based full time in our Head Office in Erith and can benefit from face to face dialogue and support from the design team and our resident Structural Engineer and Construction Director.
This is a client facing role. Customer focus and great service are key attributes that are absolutely fundamental to the role. You will have considerable customer contact therefore you must possess the confidence and ability to create and maintain a great working relationship with our clients. Much of our current success is down to the likability and trust factor. You must possess these abilities. A proactive approach to problem solving is key. Having the ability to foresee if an issue has the potential of becoming a problem and how you deal with that in advance is key.
You will have a distinct advantage if you have current working relationships with Londons top end property owners/developers such as Cadogan Estates, Portland Estates etc. and if you are in a position to help grow our business with these potential clients and other high end west London developers.
If you are an aspiring, ambitious Design Manager looking for a break-through opportunity that will be interesting, varied and challenging then this is the role for you. This is your chance to shine and set your design creativity loose on some of the amazing properties we work on. It is also your opportunity to rise to the next level of progression in your career where you would be managing the operations of the Bluelime/The Architects Of London business.
If you have aspirations to excel in everything you do, progress within your career or are entrepreneurial in your thinking, you will have a distinct advantage. We want people who are flexible, ambitious, and want to get on in life. The role is certainly demanding, there is a lot for you to do however the financial and personal rewards are there for anyone who puts in the work and goes the extra mile. For the highest performing Design Manager with the right management and leadership skills there will be an opportunity to develop your career. The opportunities to progress within our business for the right individual are significant with the potential for promotion to Operations Director should you prove capable of the role over a 12-24 month period.
In the first instance to join us as a Design Manager you will be managing our team of designers who are undertaking the design function for educational, commercial, multi dwelling apartment and residential conversions, extensions and refurbishment schemes ranging from £80k to £3mil. You will manage operations closely with our Office Administrator involving fortnightly face to face meetings in the office and video call meetings with remote designers. You will also deal with queries and any escalated problems that the design team are unable to handle. You will also be required to undertake occasional design work yourself in Revit whenever the design team are overloaded or if the project is beyond their experience. Having extensive planning knowledge is important as you will be required to advise the design team on the best planning strategy to obtain approval. Of course for more complicated schemes you will utilize the services of our incumbent planning consultant. You will also be required to quality check design functions carried out by others including other Designers and Structural Engineers. You will need to be pro-active in your management style by continually liaising with our service providers to ensure they are delivering a quality product by the agreed timescales promised to our clients.
Your highest priority will be the operational management of the Bluelime Business profitably which will incorporate the operations of ‘The Architects of London’ brand. In reality that would mean limiting the amount of projects you are physically designing yourself allowing you time to look after the operational side of the business. You will be a strategic part of our growth plan and we will require your assistance in that regard. You will also be required to design and oversee some of our more challenging projects throughout London utilizing the resources we have in our business currently.
To excel in the role your sales ability, understanding of what is possible and how best to achieve what our clients want when extending or converting their homes is important. The same applies for our education, commercial and mutli-dwelling apartment clients.
As a business we offer design and build services therefore possessing Project Management/Contract Administration experience would be advantageous. Whilst it is unlikely you will be required to undertake a Project Manager/Contract Administrator role yourself you will be required to actively manage and assist our project managers who undertake the role.
You will also be required to ensure all projects and tasks carried out by you or our Designers, Engineers, Builders etc. are completed within agreed deadlines and to exacting standards. You will speak with and manage our service providers regularly. You will ensure our design team continually liaise and meet with our clients to ensure they are well informed at all times. You will also ensure they are chasing up the various authorities for approvals and generally be proactive in managing the processes to deliver the excellent service we currently provide to our clients. You must be able to demonstrate good communication and interpersonal skills. As you will be liaising with our clients regularly, a good command of the English language is essential.
Experience in using Autodesk Revit will be advantageous. You will possess a minimum of 3 years working experience of UK Building Regulations and Planning Regulations. Technical/construction drawing knowledge will also be important.
- Leading the business and team forward as head of operations Office operational management (shared with office Administrator)
- Strategic planning to ensure business success
- Process improvement Motivate the team to achieve business goals
- Chair fortnightly coordination/planning meetings with the team to ensure everyone is aligned to achieve business goals and to use this forum to take on board team ideas and concerns they may have.
- Grow our business in the west London luxury residential sector by assisting our sales and marketing teams and using your property owner/developer contacts
- Grow our business in the volume residential, education and commercial property design sectors throughout London by assisting our sales and marketing teams and using your previous/current contacts in the industry.
- Assist the design team for the design of projects across all sectors mentioned above using Autodesk Revit
- Plan ahead and coordinate other designers, assistants and service providers
- Manage Designers and consultants including the critiquing of their surveys/designs to deliver all Bluelime/The Architects Of London projects to agreed time lines and quality and in line with RIBA stages 1-5
- Manage the practice/business meeting profit and revenue expectations
- Client liaison delivering excellent customer service.
- Every client must be communicated with at least fortnightly by the design team.
- Meeting with clients and contractors on site as necessary.
- Producing fee quotes to secure future work
- Help the Sales and Marketing team grow both the Bluelime and The Architects of London brands Helping the rest of the team upskill on Revit and assist with library creation.
- Work with our technical design team to finalise standard detail library in order to streamline and improve the technical function operated from head office in Erith.
- Advising and instructing designers and sub contract designers when queries arise beyond their ability Review our processes and design standards and implement improvements where necessary
- Strong at customer communication and problem solving
- Having good, well established relationships with Londons larger property owners/developers would be advantageous but not compulsory
- Ability to self-motivate and work with a certain amount of autonomy at management level
- Ability to motivate others and help them achieve deadlines
- Good practice/business/people management skills
- Experience in Autodesk Revit
- Good presentation skills of designs to clients both face to face and by email
- Excellent communicator happy to communicate verbally with clients regularly and ensure your team does the same
- Planning, coordination and management skills of other designers and consultants involved in our projects.
- Knowledge of structural design aspects so you can instruct and understand information provided by our Structural Engineer
- Good at Project Management/Contract Administration function
- Strong technical detail and construction knowledge in order to advise and manage the design and project management teams
- Ability to identify and deal with potential issues before they arise
- Ability to problem solve and manage issues to a satisfactory conclusion for all parties
- Understanding of construction costs.
- Effective team player and people manager
- Proficient with all aspects of MS Office programs including Word, Outlook and Excel.
- A working knowledge of UK Building Regulations and Planning restrictions would be advantageous.
- Strong telephone, email and face-to-face communication skills.
- Must possess the ability to build rapport quickly.
- Must demonstrate the drive and ambition to meet targets on a month by month basis.
- Must be able to get yourself to our offices in Erith at own cost
- Must Possess UK driving license and own car for business use
After successfully completing your 3 month probationary period you will be permanently employed attracting a salary between £40000 - £50000 negotiable depending on experience. In addition £10000 pa loyalty/performance bonus.
If you are interested please get in touch and email us your CV/Portfolio.
You can find out more about us by visiting