We have an exciting opportunity for a Building Surveyor or Architect to work across our Stowe portfolio, within the historic parkland itself and more widely in the Aylesbury Vale area. Working at these internationally renowned and culturally significant sites, you'll be involved in caring for a wide range of modern and historic structures. As part of a team of conservation specialists, you'll be excited by bringing buildings to life and conserving our structures for future generations. This is a hybrid opportunity; we are happy to explore and agree working arrangements which strike the right balance for you and the Trust. Due to the travel required for this role, you must hold a full driving license with access to your own vehicle, business mileage claimable through expenses. We are offering a salary circa £55,000 per annum.
What it's like to work here
Reporting to the Regional Consultancy Manager, you'll be part of a mixed team of internal consultants including Building surveyors and Architects, Curators, Project Managers and Archaeologists. You will be working alongside these professionals to provide a joined-up conservation service to support our operational colleagues across a portfolio of properties that include mansion houses, follies, and farmsteads, as well as archaeological and civil structures. We will support you to continuously develop your skills and be involved in exciting projects, enabling you to build a rewarding career with us.
What you'll be doing
Providing expert advice and support, delivering building work to the highest conservation standards, whilst developing and line managing colleagues. You'll be responsible for the delivery of high-quality building service, proactively inputting and advising where required. Key to your role will be planning and delivering a programme of short and long-term cyclical building work, repairs and improvements with clear briefs and close monitoring, managing risks and providing mitigation strategies. At times, you may also act as project manager or lead consultant, managing teams of external advisers.
Who we're looking for
- Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), Architects Registration Board (ARB) or the Chartered Institute of Buildings (CIOB)
- Accredited in building conservation, or have the motivation to achieve it
- High-level knowledge of historic building conservation, maintenance and repair, with a commitment to best practice and international standards
- Successful track record of managing projects and budgets, ideally within conservation
- Strong experience in contract management and contract administration in a supervisory capacity
- Excellent consultation and mentoring skills
The National Trust has the motto ‘For everyone, for ever’ at its heart. We’re working hard to create an inclusive culture, where everyone feels they belong. It’s important that our people reflect and represent the diversity of the communities and audiences we serve. We welcome and value difference, so when we say we’re for everyone, we want everyone to be welcome in our teams too.
- Substantial pension scheme of up to 10% basic salary
- Free entry to National Trust places for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- Tax free childcare scheme
- Rental deposit loan scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Perks at work discounts i.e. gym memberships, shopping discount codes, cinema discounts
- Holiday allowance up to 32 days relating to length of service, plus holiday purchase scheme, subject to meeting minimum criteria.
- Flexible working whenever possible
- Employee assistance programme
- Free parking at most locations
- Independent financial advice
Click here to find out more about the benefits we offer to support you