Studio Sam Causer is seeking a full-time, self-motivated, ambitious, and fully-qualified Project Architect to join our practice in Margate, Kent, UK.
We are seeking an individual with a strong interest in the conservation of historic buildings, with a minimum of five years’ post-Part 3 experience working on complex construction projects.
Established in 2005, Studio Sam Causer is an ambitious design & research-led, RIBA-accredited Conservation Architecture practice, with projects ranging from domestic alterations to urban planning and artistic intervention. Recognised by The Architecture Foundation as one of the best emerging practices in the UK, with projects mainly in Margate, East Kent and London.
Working in multi-layered, historic environments, we bring a philosophical rigour grounded in an astute understanding of the way materials and humans behave. We enjoy the architectural legacy that each generation leave; recording available technologies, experiences and other cultural influences combined with a love for how the built environment grows and adapts accordingly. We are committed to understanding the environmental and social impact of buildings, and whilst everybody has a responsibility to form good relations with our environment, the architectural team is well placed to balance the physical and temporal elements that together create spaces worthy of our collective capability.
Our portfolio includes conservation of C17th, C18th, C19th and C20th buildings, re-imagining a five-mile public park, the transformation of the social spaces of the Grade II* listed Modernist Kensal House on Ladbroke Grove and the expansion of visitor and support facilities at Jane Austen’s House in Hampshire.
All members of the team need to pitch in to support each other at different times, but your role will primarily be:
- Project Architect, supported by the Director and team;
- Lead the Consultant Design Team;
- Contract Administration;
- Client liaison;
- Detailed design in sketch form and CAD;
- Applications to statutory authorities;
- Specification research and production;
- Detailed construction drawings for Tender and Construction;
- On-site inspections of construction work;
- General office and project administration, with support from the team;
- Keeping abreast of society, influences in architecture and modes of behaviour;
- Inspiring the studio by developing and advising on innovative solutions;
- Willingness to become familiar with and follow the ICOMOS Conservation Guidelines.
Core skills and experience
- Familiarity with office tools and software is preferable though not essential to start with, including Vectorworks, Sketchup, V-Ray, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat Pro), Microsoft Word, Excel.
- You must be self-motivated, ambitious and precise, have a positive attitude and be trustworthy.
- You must have a desire to be a responsible individual in the design and construction industry.
- You must be flexible, quick to adapt to new situations, keen to try new things, and learn from mistakes and failed experiments.
Salary and contract
Competitive salary offered in-line with the RIBA Salary Guide, based on your experience and contribution to the practice.
How to apply
As well as your CV and portfolio, please send a covering letter that includes answers to the following questions:
- Why are you suitable for this role, and why do you want to work at Studio Sam Causer?
- If you don’t already, why would you like to work in Margate and live within a reasonable distance of the studio?
We are only able to review applicants who have answered the key questions above and are registered UK residents, with a permit to work. Please, no agencies or third-party applications.