Purcell is an award-winning architectural and heritage consultancy practice with a strong commitment to quality. We have staff of approximately 250 talented architects, designers, heritage consultants and surveyors across 14 offices in the UK, Hong Kong and Australia. Together, we work on some of the finest buildings from meticulous heritage and conservation schemes to bold contemporary design.
One of Purcell’s current key projects is Manchester Town Hall. Manchester Town Hall (1868-77) in Albert Square is one of the most iconic landmarks in the city. It is regarded as one of the finest examples of Neo-Gothic architecture in the United Kingdom and is one of the most important Grade One listed buildings in England. The Town Hall is a Grade I listed building – meaning that it is considered to be of exceptional architectural interest and national importance. Only 2.5 per cent of England's listed buildings are classified as Grade I.
Purcell are looking to recruit an experienced and proactive architect to be based in the Purcell Manchester studio and on site. Our benefits include agile and flexible working (minimum of 3 days in studio/ on site, with up to 2 days working from home), with core working hours of 10am-4pm, a bonus scheme and many more benefits, including bike2work scheme. We provide a strong culture of growth with many opportunities for training and development.
The role is to primarily to work on the prestigious Manchester Town Hall Project which Purcell commenced design work on in 2017 and is currently on site with the refurbishment works due to be complete in 2024 . The Purcell team are currently closing out RIBA Stage 4 deliverables whilst some aspects are at RIBA Stage 5, Construction. Works are progressing to the external façade, chimneys, roof and lower floors.
Level of Experience:
Experienced architect with 2+ years post-qualification experience
- Site experience essential
- MEP/ Structures coordination experience essential
- Ability to react to site discoveries, coordinate, negotiate with Lendlease WPC
- Heritage/direct architectural experience is desirable but not essential as this will be done in co-ordination with the Purcell team. However, the heritage aspects of the project do need to be understood and championed.
- Ability to use Autodesk Revit to a site capacity is essential, as the package and project is set up in Revit.
- Direct liaison with
- Purcell Structures and MEP Lead, and her team
- Design Team: Arup, Ramboll
- Contractors: Lendlease and Works Package Contractors
- Key interface and coordination with MEP, Structure & Enabling Structures Works Package Contractors
- Coordination of MEP services, Structure and BWICs
- Review of Works Package Contractor Installation Drawings
- Attendance at site coordination meetings
- 100% full-time role
This job description is a guide to the duties the post holder will be expected to undertake. It is not intended to be exhaustive or exclusive and will be subject to change as working requirements dictate and to meet the organisational requirements of Purcell.