Technically Skilled Architect
TECHNICALLY SKILLED ARCHITECTS REQUIRED – Compliance and Monitoring
John Robertson Architects has exciting opportunities for technically minded Architects and part 2’s, to assist with the growing workload on Compliance and Monitoring projects in London.
John Robertson Architects (JRA) is an established, award winning AJ100 practice comprising 65 staff, the majority of whom are based at our London headquarters on Southwark Street, SE1. The practice undertakes a wide range of office, mixed-use and residential developments in and around London including new build schemes and redevelopments, work to listed and historic buildings, fit out and interior architecture and Compliance and Monitoring (CMT). Our projects range in value from £2m to £300m+.
We currently have vacancies for experienced architects and Part 2’s and we would welcome applications from dynamic candidates with an interest in a role within the Compliance and Monitoring Team CMT.
Candidates should ideally:
- have UK experience on high profile commercial and residential projects, working with leading commercial developers and clients
- have experience of managing small project teams and collaborating with external consultants
- have successfully managed projects particularly through RIBA Workstages 3 - 6
- be technically proficient and have a keen eye for detail
- have built project experience and the ability to deal with clients and contractors alike
- understand current construction methods and information exchange processes
- be an RIBA member
The role generally includes:
- Undertaking peer reviews and reporting on the design team’s RIBA Stage 3 and Stage 4 information
- Reviewing Contractor’s Proposals to check if they comply with the Employer’s Requirements
- Providing advice and support the Client, EA and PM teams during Stages 5 and 6
- Providing high level advice to the Client on any proposed Client-led or Contractor-led design changes
- Reviewing and monitoring the design progress against on-site construction progress
- Carrying out on-site and off-site inspections of samples, benchmarks and mock-ups and reporting on the suitability and compliance thereof
- Inspecting the production of and execution of work and components by Specialist Contractors (this is sometimes done abroad)
- Attending key project meetings - Early Warning, Progress, Main Contractor and Client meetings
- Periodically attending site to inspect the works and report on any contract divergences or non-compliances identified
- Using the Contractor’s Information Management System to inspect and comment on the developing design documents issued by the contractor, checking whether they comply with the Contract, Building Regulations, and other standards etc. and applying an appropriate Status A, B or C
- Preparing Site Inspection and Monthly Compliance reports for the Client and Contractor team information
- Assisting in the inspection and snagging of the works prior to practical completion and providing lists to the contractor to close out
- Providing advice relating to whether practical completion has been achieved or not
- Inspecting the works at the end of defects period and providing lists to the contractor to close out
- Reviewing and commenting on O&M’s prepared by the contractor
- Reviewing spatial layouts and preliminary designs of potential tenants and assessing the impact on the base build works
- Assist the client team in matters relating to extensions of time and/or late completion
- Participating in a Lessons Learnt workshop to highlight the successes and failings of the project
John Robertson Architects offers good prospects for career progression and we’d like to take on staff looking to advance their skills and contribute to the long-term development of the practice.
JRA is not able to provide visa support for staff so candidates must be able to work in the UK without restrictions.
John Robertson Architects is an equal opportunities employer.
To apply, please send a covering letter describing how you will contribute to the practice along with your CV and examples of your work in A4 format by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the reference JRA2018_10 in the subject line. Attachments must not exceed 5MB.
Deadline for applications: Open until filled.
No agencies please.