PRINCIPAL BUILDING PHYSICS ENGINEER (PBPE)
Reporting to Director(s) and Head of Sustainability. You will be responsible for the overall delivery of Building Physics projects, ensuring that a high standard of technical advice and general professional conduct is maintained at all times and in accordance with Bryden Wood standards and procedures.
The role requires the PBPE to liaise with clients and colleagues and demonstrate management attributes including ownership of relationships and projects; to be a strong team player and be a professional with a proven ability to think creatively, and act tactically and efficiently with successful delivery of design projects. You must have a good awareness of the company’s culture and core values and lead by example.
We are looking for a candidate with strong technical knowledge in energy modelling. The key skills we are looking for are experience in IESVE Apache HVAC, knowledge on Design for Performance and NABERS or alternatively ASHRAE 90.1.
The PBPE is also involved in the following:
- Communications and networking.
- Administration and co-ordination of the team (some elements)
- Financial accounting and reporting (some elements).
Leadership and managing responsibilities
- Maintaining communication with line manager and directors, keeping them informed of progress and seeking assistance to address project delivery and client issues.
- Support the Head of Sustainability in team management, client management and communication, fee proposals and resourcing
- Participate and run project workshops, and seminars
- Be able to manage and deliver full projects with minimum supervision
- Maintain regular contact with existing clients and build on existing relationships
- Represent Bryden Wood in design team meetings and client meetings
- Contribute to group leadership
- Support and mentoring junior staff
- Encourage awareness and enforce compliance with company standards and procedures
- Carry out annual energy and carbon simulations, including using IESVE Apache HVAC (Design for Performance / NABERS) – very important
- Carry out annual energy and carbon simulations, including Part-L and CIBSE TM-54 – very important
- Carry out thermal modelling analysis, including PMV/PPD and CIBSE TM52/59
- Carry out Passivhaus analysis
- Carry out peak solar, heating and cooling simulations to support MEP team to system sizing
- Carry out daylight simulations, including DF, UDI and SDI
- Carry out annual and peal solar gains simulations
- Working with the group to produce, technical information, reports, presentations, graphics and digital models
- Prepare documentation for planning applications (energy strategies)
- Develop new tools, procedures and methodologies to assess environmental impacts and apply them to our projects
- Conduct research into existing and new low energy and low carbon techniques and procurement and integrate the results into our projects
- Keep up to date with developing trends, practices and legislation at global scale
Experience and soft skills:
- Have a degree in engineering, built environment or a similar field
- Have a master's degree or doctorate in Sustainability or Building Physics
- At least 5 years of experience in the field of Building Physics
- Good understanding of mechanical building services with background in building physics and passive design
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and manage own work
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Personable, approachable and flexible
- Being able to supervise other's work
- Strong analytic and communication skills
- Strong IT skills and capability to develop new analytic tools
- Experience in energy modelling (IESVE, including Apache HVAC and SAP) – very important
- Experience with DIVA/Ladybug/Honeybee/Radiance
- Accredited or chartered in relevant as Low Carbon Energy Assessor (LCEA), Passivhaus Designer or other relevant body (CIBSE etc).
- Experience with BREEAM/WELL/LEED and other international certifications
- Experience in UK related projects, building regulations, planning applications, SBEM and Part-L
- Experience with Office package
- Experience with adobe creative package.
- Experience with CFD software
This description reflects the core activities of the role and is not intended to be all inclusive. Additional duties within the company may be required and as such a flexible working approach is required.
Apply for PRINCIPAL BUILDING PHYSICS ENGINEER (PBPE)
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly