Experienced Healthcare/Residential Architect to train as
Accommodation Expert Witness
East Grinstead. West Sussex
£50,000 - £55,000 + benefits whilst training
Cowan Architects is looking for an Architect with healthcare and/ or residential experience, including a passion for inclusive design, to work with them as an Architect and Expert Witness.
Based in East Grinstead, the successful candidate will join a busy and highly regarded team of Expert Witnesses as part of the wider architectural practice. This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Architect who is interested in applying their knowledge in a different career direction, whilst still using their skills as an Architect.
A 6-12 month training period is envisaged, dependent upon existing skills and attributes, starting with shadowing other Experts, preparing research and producing draft reports, before accepting instructions in their own name. Both in-house training and the opportunity to attend a university-affiliated Expert Witness course will be provided. All of the practicing Architects who have taken this route over the last 20 years, remain enthused with their decision to do something slightly different and thoroughly enjoy operating within this specialist and exclusive field.
The successful candidate will use their architectural skills to access the accommodation needs of clients who have been disabled because of clinical negligence or personal injury and are now involved in the litigation process.
It is essential that the candidate can present themselves as a practising Architect with relevant industry experience in accessible environments, whether this be in the fields of healthcare, residential care or designing for individuals with disabilities.
As a fully trained Expert Witness, medium to long term remuneration expectations will be similar to those of a senior management position within an architectural practice.
Skills & Experience:
- ARB registered
- Driving licence
- 10 years’ post qualification experience required
- Healthcare background is preferable, with experience of designing for disabled individuals
- Outgoing, articulate, literate, personable
- Confident and assured approach
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Provide Expert Witness services as an Accommodation Expert to the High Court
- Visiting claimants in their homes, assessing their disability needs and future accommodation requirements
- Writing reports to the Court outlining your findings and opinions as to the suitability of the claimant’s home in meeting the needs of their disability.
- Attend case conferences with solicitors.
- Attend Court if required to give evidence.
- To assist solicitors with architectural negligence cases.
- To provide architectural services for a variety of projects in differing sectors.
Extensive training will be provided for the above to enable you to both practice as an Accommodation Expert Witness whilst at the same time continuing to be a practicing Architect working in a variety of sectors of your choice.
Cowan Architects is an established and progressive practice with a friendly, relaxed and open culture.