Fire Safety & Inspection Consultant (Architect)
What's the opportunity?
Our UK Fire Engineering team is growing, and due to the changing nature of the industry and the regulatory environment, the proportion of our work requiring site input is expanding rapidly.
This has led us to define a new role which focuses more on site support rather than engineering design - specifically, you will be supporting clients by reporting and advising on the findings from the inspection, monitoring, and diagnosis of fire safety provisions in buildings.
We are particularly interested to hear from candidates from an Architectural, Building Control or Surveying background who have had exposure to fire safety issues within both new and existing buildings. Relevant candidates should have experience dealing with building control and the fire service and have a built up a general knowledge of fire safety design and specification.
Although the role will have a significant site emphasis, we would be keen for successful candidates to have an appetite to develop their skillset in traditional fire safety design and engineering.
This will be a geographically mobile role, but ideally we'd be looking for candidates within easy reach of one of main fire engineering hubs - Manchester, Edinburgh or London.
With us, your preconceptions will be tested, your resilience built, and your career enriched.
As an Architect, Building Surveyor or Building Control Surveyor, you would bring a wealth of skills to the role which would shape it slightly depending on your background.
Your typical responsibilities can be expected to comprise...
- Carrying out site surveys and inspections - both with respect to existing buildings and ongoing new-build construction stage projects by recording information to be shared with others in the team;
- Diagnosing defects with fire related construction, reporting on their compliance with Regulations and advising on remedial works.
- Assisting in the development of technical reports and drawings following site inspections;
- Interpreting building fire safety information in order to assist with the site inspections and surveys;
- Identifying technical solutions in conjunction with others to ensure that fire safety is not compromised;
- Meeting with clients and collaborators to facilitate resolution of construction issues related to fire safety;
- Assist in leveraging existing and trialling new relevant tools and data platforms to capture, record and feedback construction information to our design teams;
- Supporting other junior members of the team in the development of their site inspection skills;
- In the long term, contributing to the development of advisory services in the Fire Engineering discipline via site/construction derived insights.
- Working closely with our Fire Engineers to develop your design knowledge and capability.
We’ll help you meet your goals, respecting your ideas and fostering your creativity, collaboration and innovation.
We are not expecting you to be an expert in Fire Safety or Fire Engineering, but you will have a developed knowledge of buildings, their construction forms and have a demonstrated capability in an inspection and analysis type role.
Furthermore, knowledge of primary and secondary building construction will be solid foundations upon which to build, and ideally, you will also have an understanding of the basic principles of fire safety design in terms of passive and active design solutions.
Additionally, we would expect you to demonstrate the following...
- Knowledge of primary Regulations and Regulatory framework;
- Exposure to fire safety issues within buildings (either new or existing) and how they were resolved;
- Understanding of fire resistance testing and classifications;
- Understanding of the interaction of fire safety/ protection measures and other building elements;
- Construction stage experience on major, large scale projects;
- Able to field technical queries beyond your own discipline;
- Strong communication & organisation skills are critical. You will be good at listening to clients and understanding the issues they face;
- Willing to spend periods of time on site combined with desk based working;
- Qualified either as an Architect, Clerk of Works or Surveyor;
- Full driving licence and access to a vehicle for work essential.
Why Buro Happold?
From helping shape entire cities to adapting infrastructure to deal with the climate emergency, a career at Buro Happold presents the chance to make a difference. With a world class reputation, our creativity and our people have delivered positive change to clients, the environment, and communities. If you want to be part of something bigger, this is your chance.