Public Affairs Advisor
- Full Time
Be part of the vision; be part of the RIBA.
The RIBA is a global professional membership body, and a cultural organisation, driving excellence in architecture.
Salary: £ 27,000 – £32,000 per annum depending on experience
Location: Currently working remotely with return to London office in due course
Hours: Full time, 35 hours per week, 12-month fixed-term contract
The Public Affairs Advisor sits within the RIBA’s Policy and Public Affairs team, which leads on engagement with UK Government and the wider public policy debate. Working with the rest of the team, you will be responsible for supporting and developing the RIBA’s public affairs activity. You will also be in charge of delivering the RIBA’s programme of events at the Party Conferences. Key areas of the RIBA’s policy activity include; better housing standards, building safety, sustainability, and the impact of Covid. Specifically, the Public Affairs Advisor will undertake activities which will include:
- Utilising political and media monitoring to inform on key developments in Westminster
- Developing advocacy strategies
- Building and maintaining a network of contacts
- Collaborating with colleagues across the RIBA
- Assisting in the production and communication of materials for publication
- Producing content, including briefing materials, speeches and articles for senior staff
You will have experience in UK Government or Parliament and/or working in a campaigns or public affairs role. Experience in issues relating to the built environment and/or working within a membership environment is desirable, but not essential.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Strong knowledge of UK politics, desirably on issues relating to the UK’s built environment
- Experience of working to influence structures, processes and trends in the UK political system
- Experience of effectively building, managing and working within networks and coalitions for lobbying and advocacy purposes
- Ability to apply influencing techniques and tactics to ensure the RIBA’s message stands out from the crowd
- Track record of building relationships with Parliamentarians and Civil Servants
- Experience of organising and delivering innovative events
- Demonstrably strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience of developing effective working relationships with colleagues and working collaboratively in multi-disciplinary project teams
- Ability to plan work and meet deadlines when working under pressure on a number of projects
If you feel that you would be a good fit for the role and the skills and experience we’re looking, we’d encourage you to apply for this exciting role with the RIBA, and to help us represent the architecture profession in the wider public policy debate.
The RIBA offers employees a range of staff benefits including 26.5 days of annual leave + half-day for Christmas shopping, paid closure between Christmas & New Year, season ticket loan and generous pension scheme. For more details on our benefits click here
How to apply
If you would like to apply for the position, please submit your CV and covering letter using the form below (for this position, “Work Examples” are not mandatory so please submit your CV or covering letter again in this field) Additionally, please ensure that you complete our Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form which will be submitted separate from your application
Please read job description: Public Affairs Advisor (click the link below)
Closing date: 18 April 2021
Interview date: w/c 26 April 2021
(Please note that we may close an advert earlier than the date above if an exceptionally high volume of applications is received)
The RIBA is a progressive employer, committed to developing a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all sections of society and welcome requests for flexible working across our organisation.
Registered Charity No. 210566
Apply for Public Affairs Advisor
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly