Department Head, Department of Architecture
The College of Architecture (COA) at Texas A&M University (TAMU) invites applications and nominations for the position of Head of the Department of Architecture (ARCH). The position is anticipated to begin in Summer 2020.
The Department of Architecture is located in the College of Architecture at Texas A&M University, along with the Departments of Construction Science, Landscape Architecture and Urban Planning, and Visualization. The College is home to a diverse and comprehensive array of disciplines and degree-granting programs related to the natural, built, and virtual environments. The College has a strong reputation in the areas of teaching, research, and service and encourages interdisciplinary cooperation among administrators, departments, faculty, and students. Six research centers, two research institutes, several laboratories and advanced fabrication facilities support trans-disciplinary projects of benefit to the academic and public sectors.
The Department of Architecture consists of more than 45 full- and part-time faculty and serves approximately 565 undergraduate and graduate students. The faculty in the Department of Architecture create and disseminate new knowledge in the theory and practice of architectural design. The Department creatively impacts society by designing environments that foster economic, social, and ecological responsibility. To achieve this mission, faculty in the Department engage in teaching, research, and service in keeping with the important mandate of a land-grant university. Programs include the Bachelor of Environmental Design and the M.S., M. Arch, and Ph.D. in Architecture. At the graduate level, students may concentrate in architectural design, building information modeling, architectural history and theory, energy, health systems, adaptive reuse, facility management, and sustainable urbanism. The Master of Architecture program is accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB).
The successful candidate will bring vision and leadership to maintain excellence with respect to the mission of the department and will demonstrate significant evidence of accomplishment in:
- Leadership in professional architectural education and involvement in design and practice.
- Academic leadership and management in a multi-disciplinary environment of the college and university.
- Impactful interdisciplinary research, scholarship, and creative endeavors
- Record of achievement in design research or practice.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and vision to navigate change in architectural education.
- Effective and fair administration of human and financial resources.
- Commitment to the principles and practices of shared governance.
- Advocacy for architecture and architectural education.
- Obtaining external financial support.
- Outstanding capacity to communicate with multiple constituencies.
- Championing diversity and inclusivity among students, faculty, and staff.
- Candidate must have at minimum a professional graduate degree in Architecture.
- Candidate must have significant professional and academic experience; architectural licensure preferred.
- Candidate must have demonstrated knowledge, experience, and record of excellence in architectural education and professional practice.
- Candidate must be qualified and able to teach graduate and/or undergraduate courses. While the administrative appointment does not include teaching, the successful candidate will be expected to rejoin the faculty at the end of his or her tenure as department head, and should be capable of teaching a full teaching load within the department.
- Credentials that merit appointment at the rank of Full Professor with tenure.
Applications should include a letter of interest that addresses administrative experience, leadership philosophy, and vision of professional architectural education; a curriculum vitae; and examples of design work. The Search Committee may request additional materials. Application materials received by October 15, 2019, will receive full consideration. Late applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
Applications, nominations, and inquiries should be sent to the attention of:
Dr. Shannon Van Zandt, Chair,
Search Advisory Committee
Search for the Head of the Department of Architecture
College of Architecture
Texas A&M University
College Station, Texas 77843-3137
Information on the College of Architecture is available at: http://www.arch.tamu.edu/
Information on the Department of Architecture is available at: dept.arch.tamu.edu
Texas A&M University is committed to enriching the learning and working environment for all visitors, students, faculty, and staff by promoting a culture that embraces inclusion, diversity, equity, and accountability. Diverse perspectives, talents, and identities are vital to accomplishing our mission and living our core values.
The Texas A&M System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.